It is recommended that you have your ducts cleaned for a forced air heating and cooling system once every 3 years. Although that may not be realistic, it’s definitely a good idea to do them every 5 or so years. In the videos below you will see the effects of long term lack of duct cleaning combined with what was an unclean living environment.
1. Clean ducts once every 5 years
2. Ask if the duct cleaning company has a way to prevent dust from coming out of other vents in your home while cleaning. For example, a company may have magnetic covers for other vents or may be willing to put plastic over openings not being cleaned. Since your system is largely interconnected, by cleaning one vent, dust will be stirred up in any connected ducting.
3. Be prepared to clean your home afterward, including dusting, vacuuming, floor cleaning and upholstery cleaning if necessary. This can be a somewhat dirty job, despite the cleaning technician’s best efforts to keep down dust.
4. Change your furnace filter a few days after the cleaning.
5. Remember that this isn’t a perfect way to clean, so there will be minor dust left behind, but it’s a whole lot better than the alternative…see the videos below.